- Your intended use of the corset; is it for show or as a layered foundation garment?
- How often you intend to wear the corset & for how long
- What you will be doing when wearing the corset
- Any special environment or care considerations for the fabric (eg. leather)
- A fabric that reflects your color and texture preference
- Cost considerations
If you’re going to be wearing your corset for fancy dress and other special occasions, more delicate fabrics can be used in your corset. Satin, taffeta, lace, special trims, light weight leather and detailed brocades are all good choices.
What if you want your corset to be on the go with you for dancing, dating, live music and other events? Durability is a key concern along with a pleasing style. Fabrics with a tight weave won’t snag on your jeans, your coat zipper or other obstacles in your path! Leathers, corset coutils, tightly woven jacquards, cottons prints, leathers, and upholstery fabrics are all good choices here.
So when ordering a corset, make sure you discuss your intended use & activities of your corsetted self with your corset maker. This will help them in guiding you to the best selection of fabrics & styles to meet your needs.